Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tiny Hands Turkey FELT Applique

I wanted to make another Tiny Hands Turkey shirt for Serenity, but wanted to do it little differently this year.

So I decided to use felt!
I've made a Gingerbread House shirt for Serenity using eco-fi felt and it work out great.
You can find a huge selection of eco-fi felt at Wal-Mart for only 20¢ each or in bundles for less than $4.

For the Turkey shirt I wanted to try wool blend felt.
It's nicer than eco-fi, but more expensive too.
Both types can be washed in cold water, but I suggest hanging it to dry only.

I also tried to do a tiny bit of embroidery, but I messed up on the beak.
It was a little hard to go through two thick pieces of wool felt!
Maybe next time some little french knots all over the beak would look cute?
Embellishments on the turkey's belly and the hands would look adorable, but I was worried I'd mess up.
I used the last of my orange and yellow felt on this shirt!

I do like how the felt shirt turned out.
Sewing of any kind isn't required, but small extras are fairly easy to do.
It's going to look great with the Thanksgiving outfit I'm planning for Serenity.
---------------

Materials:
yellow, orange, red and brown felt
iron-on transfer web (I used Pellon)
permanent sewing glue (Hobby Lobby $3.49)
2 wiggly eyes (Hobby Lobby 99¢)
felt ric-rack (Hobby Lobby $1.99)
a template of your child's hand
turkey template (I used this picture)
lighter or fray check
red ribbon
2 buttons

Iron the transfer web to the felt.
Use a hot iron (wool or medium setting), NO steam.

Cut out all the pieces.
2 hands of red, yellow and orange, and a brown turkey.
Make sure the flip the hand templates so you have a right and left hand of each color.

I embroidered around the turkey's body and beak using a running stitch, and then attached the ribbon wattle.
I thought about making a running stitch around the fingers too, then realized I would probably be in for a huge headache if I tried!
I think it would look nice, but that's beyond my skills - for now!
------------
Before ironing the felt pieces to the shirt, try moving them around until you've decided you like the placement.

Iron down.
Take your time, press down firmly, and move slowly over the pieces.
Sew on the buttons using embroidery floss.
Glue down the eyes and give them time to dry before handling the shirt.

All done!

Update:
I forgot to put the glue I used in the list of materials picture.
I found this at Hobby Lobby for only $3.49.
It worked very good, it's cheap, dries quickly and bonds permanently without heat and can be washed.
So far I like it better than the liquid stitch I used previously, but I still have to try the wash test to be sure.

Have Fun!!


IhookedupwithHoHlamespiceWhat I'm Making Monday
Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party


StumbleUpon.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [16 Nov 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Angela@the crazyness that is me said...

Oh my goodness how super cute! Love it and I love felt!

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

Thank you Maria!!

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

Thank you Angela!! If you make it, please share a picture on my FB fan page!

Unknown said...

What a sweet idea. I'll have to make my own version for my little one.

Thanks so much for coming to Pin'Inspiration Thursday.

Happy new follower.

Related Posts with Thumbnails