Wednesday, March 10, 2010

How to Cover a Snap Clip with Ribbon


I made these little St. Patrick snap clips in no time! This project is very easy! I used the bigger 2" snap clips, but you can get them in several sizes - including the tiny baby ones. I bought mine in the sewing section at Wal-Mart. Ebay is a good place to find them pretty cheap too.

Remember to click on a picture to ZOOM in!



Materials I used:
2" snap clip
1 4 1/8" long strip of 5/8"wide ribbon
glue gun and glue stick
lighter
toothpick (optional)
crochet shamrock applique (optional)


POST-IT-NOTE: I think 3/8" wide ribbon should be wide enough to cover the teeny tiny baby snap clips.


Before beginning, make sure to heat seal both ends of the ribbon with the lighter.


1. Open the clip.
2. Slip one end of the ribbon into the clip.
3. Snap the clip closed.




4. Flip the clip over, and spread a thin layer of hot glue on the clip. This is where the toothpick comes in handy, use it to spread the glue.
5. Fold the ribbon over the clip - carefully smoothing it out. Try not to stretch it.
6. Spread a thin layer of hot glue on the last bit of ribbon.
7. Fold the ribbon over the end of the clip.
8. Attach an applique
(optional).




After a little trial and error, this is how I'm covering snap clips. I believe I used a tiny bit too much glue and I should've spread it more evenly (why am I thinking of peanut butter?) - but it still came out pretty cute! Maybe next time I'll spread it on the ribbon instead of the clip? I think so!


If you make any clips using my tutorial, don't forget to share your creations on my Treasure for Tots Facebook Fan page!

Also, check out my Embroidered Felt Hair Clip tutorial. I share with you how I cover snap clips using felt - another easy and fun project!

To see how I made pretty ribbon & applique clippies using pinch clips, click here!

Find out how I applied no-slip grips on all of my clippies! Just click here!


If you don't have time to make your own snap clips, I'll be adding them to my Etsy store this weekend!


Have fun!



StumbleUpon.com

10 comments:

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Thanks for showing us how to do it! great tutorial! : )

avisiontoremember said...

I have a bunch of these that need done... I just never thought of lining them.. thanks

Make sure to come back to check me out saturdays...and link up more stuff :)
www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

extreme personal measures said...

Great idea!
Following you over from Shabby Chic Cottage!
I am a follower!
Please stop by!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

Lori said...

These turned out great. How very pretty.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please come by next week for another great party.
Lori

Unknown said...

These turned out really cute!

Thank you for emailing me about them! I am featuring your idea March 13th (Saturday) on my blog!

Feel free to grab my I've Been Featured button for your blog!

And come join me Friday March 12th for my link party where you can link up this or another idea!

simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Great tute for an adorable little project--thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial. The shamrocks are so cute!!

Also,I wanted to invite you to my first blog party on March 20th. I am hosting a "Gifts from the Heart Challenge" Where you show off your homemade gifts you have given people. I hope you will join me!

Lori said...

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft On Thursday at Life As Lori... Please join me next week for another great party!

Jennifer said...

Hey!!! Sorry it took me so long to comment here but I wanted to tell you this is AMAZING! What a craft you have! Now this is something I can do! I'll be sure to link back to you when I give this a try! Maybe I'll make a Christmas one!

Thanks so much for linking up on my linky and sharing your beautiful creation!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find those adorable shamrocks? I love your ideas, I think you are amazing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails