Wednesday, March 17, 2010

DIY: No-Slip Grip for Clippies

You can add a no-slip grip to any clippie (they will stay in the finest hair) quick and easy using cabinet/drawer liners!

I found a roll of it at Wal-Mart for around $5 - and it'll last forever! If you can't find it in your area, Amazon has a 12" wide roll for $8.99 and free shipping. It's the same kind I bought from my local Wal-Mart.

Remember you can click on a picture to
ZOOM in.

Materials Needed:
roll of drawer liner
sewing gauge or ruler
rotary blade and mat (optional)
glue gun and sticks
scissors


Using the rotary blade and mat, cut a 1/4" wide strip of liner. Then cut the strip into 1" long pieces.






If you're making a snap clippie, hot glue the piece of liner (smooth side down) to the end of your ribbon (make sure it's centered) before covering the clippie with the ribbon. Then slip the liner end of ribbon on the clippie and continuing covering it as usual. If you'd like to learn how to make one, go have a look at my tutorial, How to Cover a Snap Clip with Ribbon for more information.




When I'm making a pinch clip, I glue the no-slip grip after I've lined it. If you'd like to learn how to make those, you can find my tutorial here.


See how easy that was?! A snap!


UPDATE:
It's nice to hear that this tip has been so helpful - but I can't take credit for it! I found it online at a lot of different websites and blogs when I was learning how to make clippies.

I tried it out and it does work great (I like the liner that I'm using in my tute the best) so I thought I'd share it with my readers!


Have fun!


 http://www.thethriftyhome.com Get your craft on Thurs. Beyond The Picket Fence

StumbleUpon.com

11 comments:

Kelly said...

awesome! I usually use a layer of hot glue for gripping, but this is much less messy!

There's always a Silver lining said...

First of all, I just wanted to let you know that you have a great blog going. You have lots of wonderful ideas! I never thought of using drawer liner for gripping! Awesome!! I found some drawer liner at the dollar store and they work just as well as the more expensive ones. I'll have to try them on headbands and clips now!! Thanks for the idea. :)

Sweet Fuchsia said...

I love your blog!!! :0)

Cole's Corner said...

What a great idea. I wish I knew that trick when my girls were babies!

... now where in the world did you get that ADORABLE rabbit ribbon?

heldam said...

OMG! This is genius! I make all these cute clips for my little girl...and then they fall off as soon as she starts to move. Wonderful! Thanks a million. Wish I'd known about this when I was little too.

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! : )

Jess said...

That is so smart! I am SO going to do this. Come stop by my Favorite Things Friday Party if you would like to join in!

Lori said...

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft On Thursday at Life As Lori... Please join me next week for another great party!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Thanks so much for sharing how to add this. I love it! I'll be linking.

Two Shades of Pink said...

How on earth have I been a mother to 2 girls for almost 4 years now and I have never heard of this? It is genius! I do a Two Tips Tuesday each week and I included this tip linking back to you but used a pic of mine after reading your idea! And I know you said it was not your idea but you posted it with a simple and fab tute so you do get the credit!! Thank you so much!

Jennifer Saranow Schultz (aka Hint Mama) said...

I love this tip and it works! I featured the tip (and some other related ones) in a hint today on my new site of daily hints to help make parenting easier and cheaper. Check it out:
http://hintmama.com/2014/01/23/todays-hint-barrettes-that-stay-in-baby-toddler-hair/

Related Posts with Thumbnails